Friday, October 25, 2013

Butternut Squash, Kale, and Ground Chicken Soup with Link-Up

Yesterday I tried a new soup/stew and was really proud that I didn't use a recipe! It's probably safe to say that stew is just a word that means "throw it in the pot". It's kind of like when George Lopez says, "Menudo! It's the whole cow, sometimes still alive!" Man, I miss my hometown and eating menudo on the weekends.

I didn't really measure anything, so you may have adjustments to make to better suit your needs.

The soup I made contains kale, purple cabbage, butternut squash, carrots, celery, red potatoes, green onions, vegetable broth, and ground chicken. This is the second time I've been able to use my new, turquoise enamel dutch oven and I'm completely in love with the color and the way food doesn't stick as much as in my camping cast-iron oven.
My new enamel cast-iron dutch oven
This batch made a ton! Scroll down below to see how many cups of leftovers we have. Hope you enjoy the soup and try some variations! Let me know how it goes!


 Butternut Squash, Kale, and Ground Chicken Soup

Ingredients
1 lb ground chicken
3 large handfuls of kale, chopped
4 carrots, sliced diagonally
2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally 
2 medium red potatoes
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1/4 head of red cabbage, sliced thinly
3 green onions, chopped
1 can vegetable broth (14.5oz)
garlic powder
onion powder
season salt
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
water




Directions
Cook the ground chicken. I cooked the ground chicken in a separate pan so that I could drain most of the fat. I added the green onions and dashes of the garlic & onion powder, season salt, and red pepper flakes as it cooked. 
Next, add the vegetable broth, butternut squash, carrots, celery, red potatoes, cabbage, and kale. Add two or three cans (I used the empty broth can) of water, until the water line is just below the veggies. The veggies will cook down.

Bring the pot to a boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, put the lid on, and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until squash is tender. 

This pot made about 18 cups and we have LOTS of leftovers. I am finally starting to invest in quality kitchen products and really liking these Pyrex, no spill storage containers. They're glass, which always scares me because I tend to drop things, but they're easier to clean, are safer when reheating food than plastic, and I can tell exactly what's inside. 

Share a recipe with me with the link-up below! 
Share your fall recipes so we can all try them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...