Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day of the Dead Festival - OCT 26 - Denton, Texas

Next Saturday, October 26th, the Denton community will host Denton Day of the Dead Festival. The Denton Community Market is hosting a Salsa Cook-Off competition, so get ready for some great food and family fun!
Photo Credit: Denton Community Market
I find the celebration of Dia de los Muertos to be comforting and a time to celebrate life. I'm also a huge fan of the calacas, or skulls, you often see during the celebrations.

My festive phone case
In a high school Spanish class my junior year I was able to create an altar honoring my grandpa on my Mom's side. He passed away when I was in middle school. My altar contained items that reminded me of him, like chocolate candies, toy sodas and cervezas, an Army jeep, and flowers.

Day of the Dead, or Día de los Muertos, is a celebration with origins in the Mexican and Aztec cultures. The celebration focuses on the gathering of family and friends to pray for and remember those who have passed away. Children and infants are honored on November 1 and adults are honored on November 2 with altars that contain flowers, favorite food and drinks of the beloved, trinkets, photos, and other decorations to honor loved ones. Many families visit cemeteries to decorate grave sites with ofrendas, or offerings, and marigolds because those flowers are thought to draw souls to the offerings.

Reference: Day of the Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...