Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Taco Tuesday: Simple Taco Bowls

Remember this recipe I found last week? I completely forgot to put everything in the slow cooker and just used the stove method. It wasn't that great because I didn't add enough flavor, but it can be improved if I had added more items. Maybe the slow cooker method would be better.

My man doesn't like black beans, or beans of any kind, but I think it would have given it more flavor and substance. Which, brings me to a question I ask all the time, "How in the heck do you add more flavor?" I need help.

Here's my simple version. Time from start to finish was ~20 minutes. A record in this place because usually I get distracted by other things to do in the kitchen, like organize our bazillion reusable water bottles.


SIMPLE TACO BOWLS 

1 lb ground chicken
1/2 cup pico de gallo (we had this leftover)
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup brown rice (used instant because it was getting late)
1/2 pkg low sodium taco seasoning (leftover from this recipe)

  • Cook rice according to package directions. Mine was too watery...because I didn't follow directions.
  • Brown chicken and add seasoning (here's where I'd also add beans or other veggies)
  • In a bowl, add some brown rice, ground chicken, and top with lettuce, pico de gallo and shredded cheese. 
Don't forget the tortillas!
Now I need to learn to make
them from scratch!

It's not the most beautiful presentation, but it was a simple, study-break meal.
We also had these Pumpkin Spice Cookies for dessert!


Can you give me advice to make my food more
flavorful 
without packing on the oh-so-good calories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...